What Food Is Best for Gerbils?
When you have your favorite pet, you know that you need to take total care of your pet. You need to keep in mind each and every detail of what your pet needs. Feeding, of course, is one of the most important aspects that you should focus more on. You need to also know how much exactly do you need to feed your pets. The gerbil is also called a rodent and is kept as a pet by many people. Belonging to the family of rodents, this pet is quite small a mammal. They are omnivorous creatures and are closely connected to rats. Since they are very small, as a pet keeper you need to know food for gerbils that they eat.
What Should Be Included In A Gerbil’s Everyday Diet?
There is a certain limitation to what gerbils can eat and how much exactly they can be fed. It is often said that the gerbils have a very confusing and weird diet. The food for gerbils should be carefully measured to such an extent that you cannot go wrong with it. If in case, you go wrong, it can affect gerbils a lot. So, in order to ensure a long and healthy life of your pet gerbil, you need to take care of its food habits.
– It is possibly the most important item in your food list that gerbils definitely need for proper maintenance. You should always make sure to put clean water in the cage of the Gebril. The container where you are putting the water should be properly cleaned as well and should be filled with clean filtered water.
Provide Raw Vegetables
– Raw vegetables are a source of a healthy diet chart and can be very effective for your pet gerbil. They can eat a variety of different vegetables but in a very small quantity. It is a very important item in their everyday diet. You can cut these vegetables into little pieces so that they do not end up eating way too much. Some of the main vegetables that are quite enjoyed by a gerbil are broccoli, peas, lettuce, and carrots. Remember, it should not be provided in whole or big chunks to your pet.
Include Healthy Fruits
– Fruits are not only the healthiest but also the nutritionist part of a gerbil’s diet system. You can feed your pet gerbil small chunks of fruits every week. Gerbils simply love to eat a variety of fruits just like they love to eat raw vegetables. They love eating fruits more than they love eating their fruit mix. So, you must always remember not to overfeed them with lots and lots of fruits. The quantity must be very small. Some of the fruits can you can definitely feed your pet Gerbil with are Blueberries, apple, pear, mango, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, and banana.
Gerbil Food Mix
– You can prepare a food mix for your gerbil that is infused with vitamins and other nutritions that can ensure a very healthy life of your gerbil. You can give your gerbil sunflower seeds to eat, however, they should not be more than 3 or 4 per day. Apart from that, you can also treat your pet gerbil with nuts. Before giving nuts to your gerbil, you need to make sure that they are not too oily and are completely devoid of salt. You can purchase such nuts from the pet store if you like. The one ingredient that you should definitely avoid putting in the food mix of your gerbil is sugar. It can harshly affect the entire system of your pet.
Add Vitamins To the list
– Vitamins can be extremely essential nutrients for your pet gerbil. This is simply because gerbils tend to catch a cold very easily. To get rid of it, vitamins can be very effective. You can find various vitamin drops for your gerbil. All you need to do is put a few drops into the water container of your gerbil and let it drink the water along with the essential vitamins.
Goodness Of Timothy hay
– Timothy hay is full of rich nutrients that can totally enrich the diet of your gerbil. This hay is basically a roughage that proves to be quite healthy for your pet gerbil. The timothy hay should be given absolutely fresh to your gerbil. Timothy hay can help in keeping your digestive system properly running. It can also act as quite munchy food for your pet gerbil and can be given as a snack too.
These are some of the most important food that you must provide your pet gerbil on a regular basis. However, at the same time, you should make sure of the quantity of food that you are feeding to your pet gerbil. Some of the food for gerbils that you should avoid feeding to your gerbil is Rhubarb, avocado, grapes, cabbage, chocolate, and onions.
How much should you feed your Gerbil?
There can be a lot of different varieties of food that you feed your pet gerbil. However, the most important thing that you must very importantly remember is to feed your gerbil a limited quantity of food. You cannot feed them more than a tablespoon of food on a regular basis. Do not provide excessive treats to your gerbil while playing as that can hamper the digestive system of the gerbil massively.
You must give your gerbil the right amount of food so that it does not overfeeds itself or even stashes some of that food in its cage for eating it later. As already mentioned above, the fruits and vegetables that you provide to your gerbil must be very less and also cut into the smallest chunks every. This is so that they can easily digest everything, without any difficulty. You need to make sure to feed your gerbil at most once in 24 hours. You can either feed it during the day time or can do that at night. Once you follow this, you would not have to think about your pet’s health.